My sources tell me today is World Vegan Day. I celebrated. Here’s how:
1. Sleeping in until a shamefully late hour (after 8!), anchored down by Chun, who isn’t vegan and can sometimes be a corrupting influence in my life, although he has not yet convinced me to share his breakfasts.
2. Researching, unsuccessfully, the origins of World Vegan Day to figure out why they decided on November 1st, All Saints’ Day. Is there a connection? I may never know. EDITED TO ADD: It appears that the British Vegan Society was established on 1 Nov 1944, explaining the date.
3. Emptying my compost pail outside. It was satisfying but gross.
4. Making baking powder biscuits. The recipe is probably the same, vegan or not.
5. Playing with Sprocket.
6. Pining over vegan shoes I would like to get. None of them are sturdy, weather-proof shoes appropriate for biking, though.
I also remembered my second goal for November: No frivolous spending. I remembered just as I was purchasing some animal patterned origami paper, because
I want Sprocket needs a cow-spotted crane and a zebra-striped crane and an alligator-patterned crane. Overall, I’m not off to a great start with this goal, but tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet. Really it shouldn’t be too hard to curtail my spending since I am earning next to nothing, but two dollars here and five dollars there add up. So do summer sandals in winter, used books by the barrel-full, and a little blue beret for my Chun. It matches his eyes. Pictures forthcoming.