Things had been going well for Number 5, but now they’re looking bad again. Thank you, everyone, for you continued good thoughts for Number 5.
Here’s an update from my brother (from last night):
number 5 is in the hospital again. when he was released from the hospital the first time, it was to transfer him to our primary care clinic, because we can’t afford the costs of the emergency centre. they kept him at the clinic, giving him appropriate care and treatment, and when he was released from the clinic yesterday afternoon, he seemed to have recovered, he was peeing normally and eating and drinking and happily sedate on pain meds. but this morning, his symptoms returned, and he was blocked again. we tried desperately to find another place in the area that doesn’t have the same prices as the emergency centre, but almost every place was closed, and the few places we did speak to were extremely rude and said that it wasn’t normal to have staff over the weekends who could take care of inpatient situations, only outpatient things. so we brought him back to the emergency hospital this evening and his prognosis looks good but we’re very concerned about him reblocking so quickly. part of the big difficulty with all of this is that we had to take him to the 24-hr emergency centre, because our primary care place isn’t open on weekends, and it’s astronomically expensive, so we can’t afford to keep him there (i had to write a check! this place requires payment upfront, unlike my primary care place that can do payment plans), so we have to pick him up tomorrow morning, and hope he’ll be alright until we can get him back to our primary clinic monday morning. he could have stayed at our primary clinic over the weekend, but he was peeing and drinking and eating etc just fine so he was discharged without the expectation that this would happen again right away. anyways, he has remained affectionate and cuddly in spite of all this, just growling occasionally from his discomfort but being his wonderful well-behaved self regardless. i’ve been cuddling him and massaging him and giving him water with an oral syringe etc, doing everything i can for him while we searched desperately for a place we could take him to. it’s so distressing to see him suffering like this, he’s always been very empathic and always comes to cuddle people when they’re sad or not feeling well. i pray that the cat-gods will take care of him and help him through this because all that he’s ever given to the world has been love. this is a very arduous struggle and extremely difficult for me and robby, since we would do anything we can for him but we’re stuck in a place where clinics have set hours and saving a life has a price tag. one thing i’m going to look into, in the future when we’ve gotten through all this, is setting up better local networks and resources for emergency and after-hour care and charity programs, all of which this area seems to significantly lack. i hate to think of how many other people in appleton must just make the decision to put their friends to sleep because they’re told by the people in white coats that the care they need is far far beyond their financial means. it shouldn’t ever be about that, and it’s been terribly traumatizing to see robby struggling with this, i don’t have the same struggle because of my spiritual beliefs (euthanasia just isn’t an option unless there’s no other MEDICAL option), but even though it’s robby’s choice to make because Number 5 is technically his cat, i’m determined to find a way for robby to avoid having to make that kind of decision, so my struggle is to find a way to make the necessary care possible (thank god checks don’t clear over the weekend) and so far all i’ve been able to do is buy time, but i’m going to have to find some way to deal with all this somehow, so the donations that we’ve received really do mean more to me than i could ever express. thanks to your care and generosity, i will hopefully be able to manage the financial fallout of the decisions that i’ve had to make. while Number 5′s wellbeing is a priority, and dealing with a crisis takes precedent, being able to keep the roof over my head and continue to uphold my responsibilities for the rest of Number 5′s family is something that has been put at risk by this ordeal, so ALL of us are extremely touched and grateful for the donations that we’ve received. i’ll give you all another update after we pick him up tomorrow. we pray that his condition will remain stable while we wait for our primary clinic to reopen monday morning.